Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Hoopes Coop

Moving here in the winter...was that a good or a bad idea?
I feel like maybe it was a good idea because it forces me to sit on my ideas and my plans for the house until I am sure of what I want to do (at least on the inside of the house). Its way too cold to work outside! Anyone who knows me, knows I am very impulsive and very determined when I get an idea in my head. I like to see progress so why waste time sitting on it? I'm a doer. It can be a good or a bad thing. I think it drives Vance nuts sometimes! But I also have decided it has been very frustrating to have sooo much time to sit on my ideas because I've discovered that if I have too much time, I come up with too many options, too many choices, and I can't make up my mind! I don't like that! I have had to learn to be patient. Right now, we have no master bathroom, its an empty room, which I love because I can design it how I want, but I want to do it NOW! I spend a lot of time sitting in there, planning out what I want. I have to stop doing that! Its driving me nuts that I can't just go out and buy everything RIGHT NOW!
Overall, moving here in the winter has probably been good for us. It has exposed us to what we can expect in the winters up here and will ultimately make us even more excited about the warmer months! I think life up here has been good for the Hoopes family.
It gets pretty cold up here and it's really hard to keep JoJo inside all day so sometimes we have to be "those people" who put their pets in sweaters. But it keeps him from shivering!

The above picture is Josh's newly repainted bedroom. We cut his initials out of wood and hung them on his wall. That's his signature the exact way he writes it. We still need to buy blinds for the window and install a ceiling fan but for the most part, his room is done. The picture below is what his room looked like before we bought the house.

Kevin and Vance used the Ranger to pull tree stumps out of the backyard. There are a lot of trees that are either in a bad spot or have died so we started removing them. Still have a lot to do back there. The yard was filled with flagstone pavers everywhere too, so we pulled them all up and threw them into the empty pond. That will help us fill it. There were also a lot of fences and pathways dividing up the yard so they took those down too, and now we have a more open yard. Next time Kevin comes up, he plans to bring a tractor so we can add fill dirt and level out the whole yard. I can't wait till Spring to plant a lawn!!!

This is the new and improved chicken coop Vance and Josh and Larry (Vance's dad) built


When we bought this house, we were excited it had a barn and stables and a chicken coop. We want to raise cows for butchering and chickens for fresh eggs. After that first big snow storm that hit the week we moved in, the chicken coop caved in under the weight of all the snow. Vance and Josh and Vance's dad built another coop out of steel instead of wood and it looks fabulous! Josh has been learning to weld this past year and did a really good job on the chicken coop. The nests will be inside the stable. There are three stalls so we're using one for chickens, one for a cow, and Josh wants to have a pig in the last one. We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment